LIMS The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Lab management can be made easier with the right LIMS software. However, you must carefully research LIMS systems to receive the most return on your investment.
Coordinating the vast amount of information in any single lab is a complex task without the right laboratory information management software (LIMS software). Chemicals, reagents and specimens must be inventoried in near real-time for the most effective use. Formulas, calculations, and results must be stored where they can be easily accessed. Lab management can be made easier with the right tools, but you must take care in selecting your system to get the most out of your investment.
Lab solutions can streamline processes that can be time-consuming and repetitive. When you choose an integrated suite of tools, even multiple lab sites can coordinate efforts and see clear improvement.
- Efficiency - See efficiency gains by having lab operations data centralized with quick and easy access. Having a dashboard where you can see real-time results and have all your most frequently accessed tools in one spot cuts streamlines daily processes.
- Accuracy – Reduce errors by automating or assigning tasks, tracking progress and applying data validation. Integrated applications transfer and share data seamlessly without risk of missed entries or duplicated or omitted data.
- Productivity – Optimize productivity with shared data, clear timelines and deliverables, including at-risk or overdue tasks, and tools that can perform multiple calculations at once.
While LIMS software overall is a smart investment for any lab, you must do your due diligence to be sure that you pick one that is right for your facility.
- Clumsy interface – Frustrations that come with an interface that is not user-friendly or has a steep learning curve can detract from the productivity advantages that could be gained.
- Lack of customizable dashboards – While a dashboard is a time-saver, having one that doesn’t give you the information you need the most is not helpful.
- Non-integrated tools – A key advantage of good lab solutions is the integration of the tools and software. Without seamless integration, your risk of error is increased and efficiency is degraded.
When you need a lab management solution that can streamline your operations, contact Genemod.